“Swaffham Bridewell was on London Street, Swaffam. It was also called Swaffham Gaol o the Swaffham House of Correction. Built 1599 [1787] it closed in 1878. It has now been demolished. Described in 1868 as ‘The County Prison… and considerably enlarged in 1844 at a cost of £1,500. It has a residence for the governor, and contains 67 cells and 3 hospital rooms. The prisoners are employed in mat making, sacking weaving, tailoring, shoemaking, oakum picking, and pumping water from a well 150 feet deep.’
Swaffham Bridewell
by